Fresh Vegetable Pasta Toss
4 oz. whole wheat pasta
4-5 sun-dried tomatoe halves
1 cup water
1 broccoli crown (from a bunch of three)
1/4 head of cauliflower
½ cup corn
½ small onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
Salt and Pepper
- Bring big pot of water to boil. When boiling, add 1-2 tablespoons of salt to the water and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 cup of water in microwave safe dish for 2 minutes. Do not remove dish from microwave rather, add your sun-dried tomatoes to the water and let them sit and plump up for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, drain water, chop up tomatoes and set aside.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, then in half again. Cut into ¼ inch slices and set aside.
- Cut one head each of broccoli and cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Set aside with zucchini.
- If using canned corn, drain and set aside. If using frozen corn, cook according to package directions. If using fresh corn, cut off the cob and set aside.
- Chop ½ small onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the chopped, sun-dried tomatoes to the onion and garlic mixture, and cook until tomatoes are heated through – about 20 seconds. Remove onion, garlic and tomato mixture to a dish.
- Add zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower to the skillet and add about a ½ cup of chicken broth. Put lid on skillet and let the vegetables steam for 4-5 minutes – or until fork tender.
- Remove zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower to the same dish as the onion/garlic mixture.
- Turn heat up a tad, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet and add corn. Cook until corn is slightly seared.
- Add onion/garlic mixture, vegetable mixture and cooked, drained pasta to the corn in the skillet. Pour another ¼ – ½ cup chicken broth over the mixture and stir to mix. Season with 1 teaspoon of dried thyme and salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix completely and enjoy!
This is also REALLY good with some crumbled feta on top, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, or shredded, roasted chicken!