Good morning – and Happy Earth Day!
I’ve been thinking recently about things I can do for the planet and the environment and I thought today would be a good day to share them and kick off my initiatives!
- Use re-usable bags for grocery shopping. I really do feel horrible using so many plastic bags at the the store. We do re-use them in my house (trash liners, Ben uses them for lunch bags, etc) but still – a re-usable bag is only $.77 at the store – this is a no brainer!
- Biking more to run errands. I’ve got a Target, two grocery stores and my gym all within a 10 minute bike ride. This summer is the summer of bike errands!
- Recycling more. Ben and I are just really bad at this. Luckily, our city is giving out recycling bins the size of regular trash bins this summer, that you can literally put all recyclable materials into – they’re basically making recycling idiot proof!
To save the electricity it takes to cook my oatmeal, today I had raspberry-vanilla yogurt from AE Dairy with slivered almonds and four unsulfured, organic apricots. Perfectly light and refreshing!! I got semi hot during my walk this morning – so this was just what the doctor ordered!
So, did you ever have pork chops and applesauce growing up? Yeah me neither…however I know this is a “classic” combo – so I put a spin on the classic for lunch by making a pork chop and chopped apple salad! I saved half of my pork chop from last night, chopped up a crisp Braeburn apple and laid it over a bed of spinach and mixed greens. Mmmm, I just love savory and sweet combos! I also packed a 100 calorie pack of my “hot chocolate” cocoa roasted almonds :D Delish!
Oh also! My beautiful, smart, hilarious friend Natalie brought me the sweetest gift this weekend – Kashi bars!! She brought me one each of the pumpkin pie, dark chocolate coconut and chocolate raspberry bars – isn’t that the nicest thing ever!? I had the pumpkin pie bar immediately – omg, it was like eating a pumpkin pie blizzard – SO good. Then last night for dessert I had the dark chocolate coconut one – it was sooooo good too!! The variety that she gave me all have like a layer of delicious gooeyness on top that make them dessert like – but with not a lot of added sugar or calories. Love these – thanks LG!
So I’m leaving you with two questions today:
- Do you guys like eating “bars”? If so, do you like them as meal replacements, meal supplements or as a snack? I like bars like the Kashi ones for a quick and portion controlled dessert and I like Odawalla and Lara bars for a meal supplement or quick snack.
- Do you guys have any “earth friendly” habits you’d like to start incorporating into your lifestyle?
Stay green today! Don’t litter, conserve water and recycle! :D