Good grey morning to you! Yep, it’s raining which = no Mom walk or run…nuts… This might be a blessing in disguise though, as I’ll probably hit up the gym after work. While running in the morning is SUPER nice, in that I get my exercise done for the day before I even go to work, it doesn’t allow me to run longer distances because of the time constraint. Gots to keep that mileage up baby!!
So instead of running this morning, I sat in the dark, listened to the rain and had myself a nice cup of joe…bliss 🙂 Which reminded me of an article I read online yesterday – Two Minutes to Happiness.
If you’re feeling a little blue – try one of these tricks to turn that frown, upside down 🙂
- Look through old photographs. According to researchers, this could boost your mood more than eating chocolate. Bust out that photo book!
- Inhale a calming scent such as lavender or orange. The smell of the vanilla candles I have all over the house always boosts my mood.
- Take a walk around the block. If you’re feeling down, even a low-key walk can lift your mood. Not just because of the increased heart rate, but because of the change of scenery!
- Clear the clutter. Piles of paper and clutter on your desk indicate that something isn’t getting done. Even if you can’t clear everything away, straighten into neat piles – your stress level will likely lessen.
- Talk to a cheerful person. You are the company you keep!
What tricks do you use to cheer yourself up? I’m definitely a fan of getting up and taking a walk when I’m not so happy. It makes me reflect on my current situation and I usually end up realizing – in the grand scheme of things – hey, it’s not so bad!
Guess what else isn’t so bad? Apple Crisp Oatmeal! Today’s oatmeal took a trip from the usual though, because instead of my standard, old fashioned oats, I used an oatmeal packet!
I’ve had these Quaker Simple Harvest Vanilla, Almond & Honey oatmeal packets laying around for ages. Since my canister of old-fashioned oats ran out this weekend and I forgot to pick some more up at the store (rats!) I used one of them as my oatmeal base.
To make my oatmeal, I peeled and finely chopped a Braeburn apple. Then I cooked it in a microwave safe bowl with a splash of water and some cinnamon, for 1 minute. (Ok, need another
2 1 minute to happiness idea? Microwave an apple + cinnamon for a minute – APPLE PIE HEAVEN!!) Finally, I poured in my oatmeal packet + 1/2 cup water and microwaved for another 1.5 minutes.
Voila – Apple Crisp Oatmeal! Just like Mom used to make 😉 The textures from the crunchy almonds, creamy oatmeal and tender apples were perfection, and the cinnamon really gave it that apple crisp flavor punch!
There’s really no denying the convenience of oatmeal packets – they’re pre-measured, pre “spiced,” if you will, and cook in no time flat. I like to save money and control the amount of sugar, preservatives, etc., by making my own. In a plastic baggie, combine:
- One serving old fashioned oats
- Any type of flavorings you want – brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cocoa powder
- Dried fruits, nuts, berries
All you have to do when you want to eat, is combine your mixture with twice the amount of liquid (1 cup for each 1/2 cup of oatmeal) microwave for ~2 minutes, top with anything from fresh fruit to graham crackers, and you’re set. 🙂 Try it!
So on this rainy Tuesday morning I packed a simple, yet delicious, lunch. A Turkey, Spinach, Cheese & Mustard Wrap.
This is pepper jack cheese, baby spinach, tangy mustard and oven roasted turkey breast. All snuggled up in a Flat Out Wrap, of course!
I like to cut my sandwiches/wraps on a diagonal. Diagonally cut foods are so much more fun to eat than foods cut straight across – don’t you think?
I also packed a big bowl of juicy, ripe strawberries.
Ugh, the scent of freshly cut strawberries is like nothing else. Heaven.
These will certainly make you happy, too!
Well I’m off to work – have a HAPPY day all!
I’m going to revert back to my question above. What do you do to cheer yourself up when you’re feeling not so happy?